My passion is to bring positive impact to industries that are often resistant to embracing change through design. As a strategist and communicator focused on health care and life sciences, much of my professional work has helped build engagement and bring clarity to health care and it’s delivery. A tenacious collaborator, my work solves problems, creates impact, and catalyzes cultural change. Through a variety of approaches I am able to:
Leverage deep domain knowledge to improve customer, patient, and practitioner engagement across multiple platforms and touch points
Translate complex medical and technology issues into clear and concise messaging
Build credibility at all levels of an organization quickly and effectively
Understand complex systems to identify and execute creative and cost-effective solutions in rapidly changing industries as well as bureaucratic systems.
Work with various Federal agencies to build capacity and knowledge around human-centered approaches to service design and digital strategy in the Federal government.
Develop content strategies and define content needs for best-in-class responsive digital properties.
Lead the content track for CMS and migration planning.
Define and gather content requirements.
Identify gaps and locate potential content sources.
Create taxonomies and metadata schemas (frameworks for grouping and tagging content).
Develop roadmap and lead team of engineers, designers, content professionals, physicians, and business strategists for the development of HealthlinePro, Healthline’s first search product and content solution targeted at physicians.
Lay groundwork for product development with selection of sources for content ingestion and crawling, search parameters, and customization of Healthline’s proprietary health engine.
Work with infrastructure team to develop self-service modules for indexing of customized content.
Partner with colleagues in editorial to develop new tools that create opportunities to improve outcomes for patients.
Built the acquisition, content and editorial strategy behind Qology, a physician collaboration platform using open data and medical and scientific vocabularies.
Clients: Shire Pharmaceuticals (Vyvanse & INTUNIV), Genentech (Lucentis), Amgen (Neulasta & NEUPOGEN).
Collaborate with art and technology teams to launch innovative and effective creative concepts across existing and emerging platforms.
Developed copy for multi-channel communications for print, digital, unbranded, branded.
Worked closely with account and med/legal teams to ensure compliance to FDA regulations.
Balanced daily copy needs with longer term projects.
Relaunched of georgetownemergencymedicine.org
Website traffic increased 500%, applications to the Emergency Medicine Residency Program doubled, and the program exceeded its recruitment goals after launch.
Website also garnered a 2010 eHealthcare Strategy Platinum Award for best website
As a result of this work, I joined the Digital Health Steering Committee at MedStar Health, a 9 hospital-system in the Mid-Atlantic.
Led the development and implementation of the database architecture and taxonomy for the relaunch of massgeneral.org
Built all sites and wrote all copy for the 30 divisions within the Department of Medicine.
Developed and deployed a web-based manuscript submission application for contributors to the 23rd edition of the Cecil Textbook of Medicine (Elsevier), now used for all textbook production at Elsevier.
Built the beta application for $50K; Elsevier later invested $1M+ for further development.
The application now manages production for hundreds of Elsevier’s textbooks and has been translated into six languages.
Based on my committee work with the Chairman of Medicine at Mass General, I was granted a faculty appointment at Harvard Medical School.
Principal, Jane Newman Consulting, San Francisco, CA. (2011-present)
I work with startups and established organizations to provide content strategy, website development, development and implementation of medical taxonomies, and technical writing and editing. Most recently, consulting work has included engagements at IDEO, UCSF, Massachusetts General Hospital, and Silicon Valley-based Health IT startups.
Past Experience & Employers
Clinical Research Coordinator, Brigham & Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA
Administrative Coordinator, New England Research Institutes, Watertown, MA
Organizer, The Hunger Action Network of New York State, Albany, NY
Statewide Organizer, The National Abortion Rights Action League, Albany, NY
Urban Park Ranger, New York City Department of Parks and Recreation, Bronx, NY
I co-produced Trouble in Paradise, a documentary that aired nationally on PBS about the aftermath of the 2000 US Presidential Election funded by the Center for Independent Documentary.
Harvard University, Graduate coursework in computer science, education & management. Cambridge MA, 2003-2006, 2020.
New York University, Science and Environmental Reporting Program, New York, NY. MA, Cert. Journalism.
Colgate University, Hamilton, NY. AB, Biology.
2010 eHealthcare Strategy Platinum Award: Best Website: georgetownemergencymedicine.org
2010 AIGA Best Designed Website: massgeneral.org
2010 eHealthcare Strategy Award: Best Designed Website: massgeneral.org
2009 CLIO Healthcare Award: massgeneral.org
2009 MITX Best Health & Fitness Website: massgeneral.org
2004-2008: Partners in Excellence Award: Massachusetts General Hospital
Google Earth Outreach Grant for use in building web applications for Massachusetts General Hospital’s Global Health & Infectious Diseases Division
- Creativity & Innovation (MGMT 4310) | Harvard University Extension School. Cambridge, MA. January, 2020
- Health Policy and the Affordable Care Act (Taught by Ezekiel Emanuel MD, PhD | University of Pennsylvania) Coursera, Fall, 2012
- Health Informatics in the Cloud (Taught by Mark Braunstein MD | Georgia Tech) Coursera, Spring, 2013
- “Pay Attention!!” ADHD Through the Lifespan (Taught by Anthony Rostain MD | University of Pennsylvania) Coursera, Spring 2013
- Fundamentals of Non-Violent Communication, Bay Area Center for Non-Violent Communication, Fall, 2011
- HealthCamp, San Francisco CA, 2010, 2011
- Health 2.0 Volunteer, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017
- Transparency Camp, Sunlight Foundation, Washington DC, 2010
- Yoga Alliance Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT 200), 2010
- Presenting Data and Information (Edward Tufte), Boston. MA, 2005
- San Francisco Licensed Pedicab Operator. (#1089)
- City of New York Urban Park Ranger, Bronx, NY
- Front-end: CSS, XML, HTML5, PHP
- Marketing/Web Analytics/Project/Code Tracking: Google Analytics & Webmaster Tools, Hubspot, Exact Target, CRM tools, ZenDesk, Pivotal, Jira/Atlassian, Github
- Content Management Frameworks: Drupal, AEM, WordPress
- Survey Design and Systems: Qualtrics, Medallia, SurveyMonkey
- Web Authoring, Wireframing, Design, Workflow: FTP, Coda, Adobe CS, Sketch, Axure, Balsamiq, Visio,
- Database | Tools: SQL, API, Airtable
- Office Apps: (MS and Google Apps, Visio). Experience with Windows, OS, and Linux platforms
Medical Vocabularies, Standards, & Terminologies
- Disease Classifications: ICD-9, ICD-10, CPT
- Clinical Terminologies & HIE: UMLS, SNOMED-CT, MeSH, LOINC®, HL7/FHIR, RxNorm, SPL.